Friday, March 31, 2006

RE: Titus Andronicus - Preliminary (Before Thinking) Notes

There WAS a recent film of Titus which I saw and couldn't stand. Contemporary camp on top of Elizabethan camp (or whatever) was terrible, I thought. Far too smug for its own good. Has anyone written "Seven Types of Camp"?

Speaking of Shakespeare and George Bush, we have seen two films on the last two nights which could only have been made in the Bush years, I think. They were June-Bug and The Three Burials of Melquides Estrada -- in that order. I thought they were both very good, especially the latter, which strikes me as quite Shakespearean in its breadth and (thanks, Bill Matchett) its concern with forgiveness and personal cleansing. Maybe this is the closet Episcopalian in me. I found it powerful.

In today's Times, referring to developments in Iraq, Paul Krugman comments, "When politicians decide they can get ahead by appealing more to fear than to hope, national reconcilliation goes up in smoke. And that's about Iraq!

Ernst

No comments: